This recipe is wonderful for anyone who loves a good egg salad. The texture of the asparagus and cashew mixed together is very similar to the egg salad. I love adding the jalapeno for extra spice.
Lemon Jalapeño Asparagus Cashew Mixture
makes 2 cups – about 4 servings
1/2 cup raw cashews
1/3 cup water (+ more if needed)
1 extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp dried jalapeño (fresh will work too)
10 spears asparagus (remove woody stubs of stem)
*about 4 cups chopped raw asparagus
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
a few dashes garlic powder
4 Tbsp lemon juice
1. Soak 1 cups of raw cashews in 3 cups of water and a pinch of salt. Allow to soak for at least four hours. Overnight is best since the cashews will get nice and soft.
2. Drain your cashews and add them to a high speed blender ( you can also use almonds)
3. Add in the water, oil, asparagus, spices and lemon. Blend on low to get started and then move to a high speed. Use your plunger or scrape the sides with a spoon to blend. If your mixture is too thick and not blending through, add in a few more splashes of water.
4. Once your mixture is noce and creamy. add more salt and seasonings if desired. You can even add in more asparagus if you’d like.
5. Transfer to serving dish for dip or slather on bread for sandwiches. You can serve right away or chill the mixture in the fridge. If you want to serve your dip right away but want it to be chilled – chill your water and cashews before blending.